The Bite
Chimy Changa

Cost of dreaming

By Kington
"You've got Sarah still want more arh?!" The sound goes high. Echoing gently in the orange sunlight. Loud and with a unique frequency that stands out from the other voices in the crowd. Simple. Sharp. In a plaintive teasing tone. Echoing off the pink walls and the cars parked around us. With a background noise of the collective murmur of the crowd, the sweet whisperings of the couples on the benches and the rustling of the trees in the wind.

He's talking to Fang about Sarah Poh.

(Gotcha wei! Just had to do it! And now on to the cost of dreaming. Eh Sarah don't whack me for this. Sorry. But it's worth the idea.)

---------------------------------

"That's so sweet." A flicker a shot of a close friend saying it.

And it rolls over into complete darkness.

I'm sitting at my computer. I'm typing in URLs.

I type in Lesley's and I read a post. I skip reading the date. But I see and itinerary and I read it just a bit and I jump through looking for anything interesting.

I type in Henry's and I see there's no update. I scroll up and down and read the chatter box. Nothing's changed either

And I type in Sarah's and I see there's no update either. No new comments either. And I remember what time I slept last night.

No one can update at that time.

Strange. I never type in the URLs. I can't. It's difficult just trying to remember the spelling for Henry's.

It rolls off to black.

And then it rolls in.

Quick glimpses of details. Of things to come. Of things of the people around me. I think I see a wrecked car. I feel a rotten brake underfoot.

And then comes the past.

A repeat of things which have happened. I see Sarah. I see Bird. I see the Nother. Things flicker and shift but all the while keeping that blue coloured tint of memory ploughing.

Then I see the repeats of dreams which have become reality at some point. The McD. The paper. The pen.

I wake up. I feel the bitter cold. I close my eyes again. And images leap at me.

I roll out of bed. I take a leak and I look into the sink.

I let go of the sour spit that was building in my mouth. I wash my face and see the water swirl down the hole. I'm mostly at home at home with no one to talk to. But not like I'd fully reveal what I saw anyway.

I rinse my face again.

I don't have a clock to tell me when things are coming. I don't have a timepiece to tell me when to move. I don't have a watch to tell me precisely when things happen when they do.

I just use the pendulums.

All I can do is hope I'll know how to react when they do come.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I drop dem' knives onto the floor. They go clink onto the floor.

I take my seat and she's using the computer. I wait for her to get out the thing she wants me to do.

When she's done and she leans back, I rest my hand loosely on the mouse. It's small cool and plastic.

I flip through the pages on the screen reading quickly.

She rests her hand on top of mine as I hold the mouse steady as I'm just reading the screen.

I look at her and she just places her fingers in the nook between my forefinger and thumb and curls them her fingertips touching the edge of my palm.

She squeezes gently.

I smile and continue clicking away.

----------

She's very close as I'm reading the details rolling across the screen. Bored she leans her head on my shoulder.

I whisper something to her. And she looks me in the eyes and I just smile.

She rests her head against my shoulder again and I turn my attention to the screen yet again.

But I find myself not paying attention to the readout.

I find myself just enjoying her warm touch on my shoulder.

I touch her cheek with my hand.

--------------------

I'm leaving in a car. I'm driving with a team member in the car with me. The black car rolls out across the area with the usual music playing gently in the background.

We're both bored just watching the scenery pass by.

He's lost in his thoughts.

I'm thinking about her even as I'm setting up some equipment. And her warm touch on my skin when I didn't the heavy stuff I'm wearing now.

--------------------

I keep things into my pockets. And I turn and ask the nearest person where is she.

I scale the steps 3 at a time with light grace as I don't want to go stomping up the stairs.

I find her on the uppermost landing it warm orange light. And I sit next to her.

She edges closer to me until our shoulders press against each other.

I turn and look her in the eyes.

And I whisper sweet nothings for her to hear. As she just listens and smiles.

---------------

The offload nearly tears my head inside out. The switch and the upload of the information. The record of yesterday pours into my head. For a fraction of a second I'm heavily disoriented.

I turn on the sonar in my head. I pass the ambient sound over the whole room sweeping it giving me a view of everything. It's tinted blue and I know it's because my eyes are shut.

My blanket is draped over my left hand. But the rest of me is bared to the elements.

Still refusing to open my eyes I recall last night's dream.

I smile. Then I realise it's just a dream.

With the blanket around my fingers I touch the corners of my closed left eye. To wipe them away.

---------

The cost of dreaming.

The high price of it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Peculiar. Could use a bit more touchup for this. Oh well just gonna come back and fix things later.

Sigh gonna sleep early. Don't wanna wake up late for coll anymore. And it would be kinda embaressing if I got into a transport deal with Xinhuei and she kept having to wake up her driver everyday.

The genius kid that never says anything no matter how odd the stuff I fling at her would probably finally get pissed.

It's in 2 parts. And there was an edit because of a mistake in my writing some things don't fit right.
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?