The Bite
Chimy Changa

Sensing the Sun

By Kington
It's dark. It's hot. Not crazy hot but the kind as if I've been placed in a Thermos to collect heat.

I open my eyes. I see nothing. I throw off the blanket. And let my senses play out.

My nose is jammed. I can see faint outlines of stuff in my room. I'm on my bed half covered in my blanket. I hear the usual rumble of stuff being prepared for daylight downstairs. I taste sour spit. No blood thankfully.

I stare at the sky. The cloudy sky. It's dark.

On the fringes it blue and there are some blank patches which are clear in the sky. It's serene yet foretelling a cloudy and probably rainy day.

I lay back down staring at the ceiling. I feel the warmth of things against my blanket. My skin is lightly sticky from bathing in sweat due to the light fever.

I enjoy the peace and calm of the morning trying to avoid thinking of the busy day ahead. Trying to avoid thinking of the games I played last night. And just stare at the ceiling listening to the gentle chopping sound of the ceiling fan slicing gently through the fan.

*Ring ring*

"Yeah I'm awake don't worry."

The call ends and I stare at the ceiling for a short while longer. 5 minutes later I get off my bed and get ready for the day.

It's still cloudy but I can feel the sun rising deep within me.

---------------------

I retreive from the shallow box a pendant.

It's made in the shape of a sun encircled by an outer ring filled with symbols.

I let it hang holding it halfway down the length of it's leather thong.

Holding it up to the light to check for any imperfections in the design.

It's dirty.

I remember when I first talked to the future owner of the pendant. It seems so long ago. So distant. When I was a mere template for what I've become.

She ended up working for me a year after we met. I taught her vaguely about capturing fleeting beauty and she learned prodigiously developing her own style.

Licensed incredibly fast. I'm thankfull for it. Because she had the license she could help me when I got into that accident.

Helped me when I was dripping with blood and limping.

Months after that I helped her solidify her relationship with her boyfriend. I knew she was borrowing my influence and I gave her full consent to abuse it.

The whole of my family including the extended family knows her name for various reasons. We've done each other a lot of favours actually. And she's also met another branch of the family.

We hardly talk anymore. But we both know we both don't have much time for each other.

I realise I'm swinging the pendant.

Oh well. Buds are buds.
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?