The Bite
Chimy Changa

In the rain

By Kington
The wind whistled. The pavement full of mini puddles. The pitter patter of the rain hitting the ground all around us. It was dark and it way past midnight somewhere about 1 in the morning. The streets were empty and we were alone save the random passing car. The odd working street lamp shining small pools of orange light onto the road.

SPLASH. She jumped from one puddle to another. Giggling like a school girl.

A car zips by casting long shadows on the road. She caught me staring at my shadow.

"Stop thinking about work ok? You're off duty!"

I smile and shake my head in a non-committal way.

"Good that's what you should do! Join me!"

She goes on skipping ahead of me singing and laughing. Whatever made her so happy I couldn't fathom.

I just walk quietly behind her. She was wearing a simple dress. White skirt and a modest top, white as well, it made her look like a ghost on this empty road. However I was still wearing my black clothes for when I go to work. The black and the white walking down the road?

She didn't mind that she was drenched to the bone and it was quite cold. She just kept singing the song of the sky and laughing.

Her voice so light, so cheerful she was really happy. Silvery as it was when it hit my ears. Very much like mine, a mercurial voice which changed wildly. Do all of us have voices as so? Yet I find myself drawn to it like the voice of a siren.

She danced in the rain staring at the sky. Her hair all wet and dripping, clinging to her face from all the rain that had gotten into it. She had taken off her sandals saying "Well, if I'm too tired to walk you can carry me right?" I was too tired to protest or to advise her otherwise.

"OY! Why are you just standing there!? It's such beautiful rain! Dance with me! Enjoy the rain!"

She grabbed my hand and pulled me forward. But I just staggered because of the sudden force.

She looked at me, tucked a stray lock clinging to her face behind her ear and pouted at me. I looked at her but I couldn't resist her spell, slowly I broke into a weak smile. She grinned like the Cheshire cat from ear to ear.

I followed her skipping along the puddles stomping in a few to her laughs.

Deep into the night, we laughed, we danced, we talked all to the song of the rain playing in the background.

All the while never stepping into the shade. When there was no cars we'd run on the roads. Running with our hearts and not our minds. We were laughing. We were playing like children in the rain.

She sat down tired after running the streets for an hour like a drunk, aimlessly walking the streets in the rain. She fell asleep leaning on the Plexiglas wall of a deserted bustop. As I sat a distance away from her.

I looked at her. Her face plain and free of any cares. I just watched her sleeping for an indefinite length of time. Her beautifull albeit drenched hair clinging to her face dangling and dripping. Her head leaning against a support. Her arms folded in her lap.

The neon display of a clock on the bustop wall showed 3:13.

I got up and picked her up in my arms cradling her. She pressed up against my shoulder. With all the lining on this clothes and the underlayers she wouldn't be able to feel any warmth anyway.

And I carried her home. With her sleeping peacefully in my arms the whole way.
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?