The Bite
Chimy Changa

Sunrise

By Kington

The trees rustle around us. The sun is slowly rising. It's pretty windy. I think it might rain.

"So this is how it is eh?"
"Yeah I guess so man."
"So we're both splitting up for real and going to opposite sides of this big blue-ish green ball."

My headphones for my cd player are pumping music out on maximum volume on the ground behind us. Powerful but still small in size they seem like small mini speakers.

this time we're not giving up
let's make it last forever
screaming "hallelujah"
we'll make it last forever


Beneath us we see people walking. Right below the ledge. Across the road we see an old auntie coming out of her house to throw rubbish or sweep the front yard. We're not paying attention either of us anyway.

"Sigh when it ends you'll be gone. All the SAM people are gone anyway."
"Don't be like that man there's always the phone, msn, skype, e-mail and if you want you can write too."
"Your handwriting sucks wei! Can't read it for nuts!"
"Eh better than yours right?"

The trees rustle nearby and we're blown by the sudden gale. I sweep my hair back out of my face.

I get up and peer over the edge. Staring at the empty space between us and the ground.

"Careful don't fall off. Can die you know?"
"Nahhh I won't die like this la."
"Oh so you still see it. Hmm it's a pretty morbid thing you know."
"It's pretty ok once you get used to it la. More like pretty informative when you know whats coming."
"Still don't get the significance of it though. Why let you see it?"
"Who knows?"

We sat there in the silence keeping our thoughts to ourselves. The sun is in the sky causing the clouds to look like they have golden embroidery. The wind never ceasing is cools on our skin even in the humidity.

"So whats next really for you?"
"Me? I don't know. Once I finish I might go anywhere really. But I doubt you'll see me in the land of bitterly cold and constant rain."
"Aye. Guess not. Sigh bitterly cold and constant rain."
"You need some thermal insulator...[prod]....Here."
"Eh keep your fingers to yourself. If you say I need an insulator...YOU NEED A HEAT SINK!"
"Ouch thats just below the belt la!"

More people are awake now. We can see more people leaving their houses. Getting into their cars and driving off.

"So what will you do in Taylors with SAM closing and all?"
"Sigh I don't know really. They're gone. And there goes that thingy too."
"Hmmm....[pat pat]Things won't end so fast there's still ways you know. With SAM closing you don't necessarily have to feel sad."
"Why?"
"Holiday is coming then you'll still get to see me anyway right?"
"Seeing you. I gotta be pretty drunk to think it's a bonus."

We both smile jokingly before exploding into laughter.

"Ugly freak."
"Get a mirror dude!"

The streets are jammed now.

"So have you found them yet?"
"We'll I've located one of them. I'll go looking when I'm on holiday. After AS."
"Hmmm...Come back alive."
"Haha won't kill me la. So you're going back there right?"
"Yeah been awhile since I've seen the guy."
"Oooohhhh yeah I forgot you don't go there as often as me."
"Yeap. By the way do you want me to take those back for you?"

He points at my hands.

"With SAM closing and all you'll have no need for them."
"Nah I think I'll keep them for awhile longer. There's still things I can do with them after all. 'The world doesn't end today with our deaths. We live on with our teachings passed down infinitely by our heirs and our students.' Or so it goes."
"Oh you've still got that too."
"I've got exams la of course I'm using it. Not like you so slacker."
"At least I'm enjoying myself."
"Aiseh bad la you. Never mind. Never mind. Say what you want."

Slowly building a tolerance to all the drugs they feed us
That slowly dissolves our spine and steals the strength that we hide.
But you are something…
You are something…
You are something…worth fighting for.
Where to all the heroes land?
They’ve been replaced by hollow men.
Who always turn the other cheek.
And consequence: courage…we defeat.


"So you're gonna keep fighting for it right?"
"Yeah I'll keep fighting for my right. I'll see if I can make it in the end. Even if history stands against me. I'll have the odds with me. But it's all really up to God you know?"
"You're so pious these days. I like you better as the raving immature maniac you once were."
"Things change la can't expect me to be a leopard right? I'm the Mr Mercury."
"He was gay you know?"
"I meant the metal la!"

The CD whirs to a stop.

"You picked a really nice time for this chat."
"Oh you noticed why."
"You saw the rain and the wind but you knew there was going to be sun right?"
"Maybe..."
"You still speak in riddles. Guess you're still a maniac at least. 'With this it is the end of a beginning, but yet what awaits us is yet another beginning of a new end.' Sunrise. End of the night. Beginning of the day."
"Yeap thats right."
"Smart."

The school bell rings.

"Looks like it's time to get to class. Run along kiddies. And it's time for you to go too."
"You sure about this really? Will you be ok sending me back? Without me and all?"
"Even if I won't. I have to really."
"It's up to you but I wish you all the best...And God bless you."
"Now you're turning pious."

We shake hands.

"Don't so homophobic la! Gimme a hug!"

We hug. And we stare at each other. We've both known each other for ages. He's been there for years. Longer than ever. I've watched him mature. He's watched me grow up but he says I've never matured anyway. Bad la he.

"It's about time to go."
"Yeah. 1 more piece of advice. You may not be that old physically. But for the sake of everyone use your experience la! Not many people get to where you are! Stop acting like a kid!"
"Eleh. A piece of advice for you then. Stop acting so old! Little bit also talk like old man already."

The sun is high now the residential jams are about nearly cleared up.

"See you man."
"See you King."
"Don't forget to msn or smth la. No writing k. BEH TAHAN!"
"OK LA. AS IF YOURS SO NICE LIKE THAT!"

-------------

Ok so I broke my promise. This still isn't the story I'm supposed to be editing for days on end yet.
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?