The Bite
Chimy Changa

Raise your shields

By Kington
Well I think it's time you choose. If it's not me, stop acting like that. You really can't be inbetween.

And now to the post.
---------------------

I halt my strides. My eyes narrow. I pause. I turn my head towards the sky. I don't see it. I close my eyes I hear it. A thousand small footsteps all landing on the earth around me.

Rain. It's not for the first time it's rained on me trying to get to my car.

It's heavy. Gotta run for it.

I sprint across the road. I reach the double doors of inti's library and I brake hard. My shoes hold.

I reach a blank patch unsheltered. I straighten up and unsling my bag and I use it to shelter myself. Like one of the concept images for a Shadow 9 holding his shield up. I spread the bag out and let it rest against my forearm just like a buckler.

I reminisce. Last time I ran in the rain, it was trying to reach my car from the ADP building. Luckily I moved it to face one of the exits. It was dark that day. And raining like mad. And my tyres were heavily tested that night.

I come back to the present and I realise this block of shoplots has ended too. It's time to go through the alleyway to reach the other block.

I unsling my bag again and repeat the strategy. When I reach the corner a lady tries to sell a man some biscuits he declines and she laughs at me holding the bag up. I must look ridiculous.

When was the last time I did this? Using my bag as a shield? I remember something slightly differint in the way I was gripping it.

Sorry guys you're gonna have to wait over at the ADP building I'll bring around the car.

It was in March. And the first time Sarah and Geoffrey hitchiked. And I can remember what I did.

I unslung my bag and did my best to shield our only female member. She can't run in the heels duh. And she can't totally depend on her folder her stuff inside was getting wet. My bag is absorbant and the stuff inside, all in plastic casings inside plastic casings.

I was badly drenched by the time we reached the ADP building. Even with Geof's running he was wet too. Sarah was by far the dry-est but yet she was still quite wet.

I left them there and I ran to my car. Bag shielding me from the rain although it was raining and blowing. Difficult. I turned it's angle to shield my eyes so I could at least guess where I was going.

And I drove the car over to fetch them.

Odd how we were all wet and amused that day. I dropped Sarah off and drove back to Sunway with Geof again.

Odder still how this isn't my best memory of the rain......

It was a friday in August and it was just pouring. We waited outside 7-11 for ages just the 2 of us. The third had left early before it rained. Talked a lot of crap.

After 1 and a half hours of waiting out there. We walked back in our school uniforms and the rain blasting our skins.

I was feeling very down that day even after all the killing. But I didn't say anything. When the rain ran through my hair, my uniform soaked and my skin all goosepimpled, I felt like everything I was unhappy about was just left far behind. Laughing and shouting in the rain. Forgetting everything. Life rocked. And the whole time I'd hear the voices of Laura and Su Ann singing "rain down".

I stare at my car across the road in the pouring rain. And I unsling it again. Life still rocks!
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?