The Bite
Chimy Changa

Passing By

By Kington
The door handle eases of it's centre as if it was made out of rubber when I push it open.

"Cheap door"

The black and white marble lining all polished covers the whole lobby with a central gazebo of white being the concierge.

I swallow my earlier comment.

It's warm so I pluck up my sleeves a bit to expose more of my upper arms to the cool aircond.

As we approach the restaurant, the head waiter steps out to greet us.

I glance right and I see a young woman staring back at me her hand pausing in the air to whilst replace the cutlery.

We lock eyes briefly.

She's pretty with her sharp features on her soft cheeks forming a slightly cunning face with her long hair framing everything so beautifully. Her jeans and her shirt tell me she's a traveller possibly arrived or preparing to leave.

I turn my attention back to the menu being shown to us and she continues picking out food from the table.

We decide against Japanese and enter the coffee house instead.

1 hour to go.

"the mussels are good"

I scoop up a plate of it and the day's meal sponsor picks a few of the juicier ones.

Turning around I notice her picking at the local appetisers.

I pick a bun and head on back to my table.

As she passes by she looks at me again and I glance briefly at her just long enough for her to know that I noticed.

She takes her seat and I look across the table to know that I'm lagging behind on the mussel massacre.

As I sink my teeth into a tough foccacia bun, I look left and I catch her stealing another look.

"Be more discreet dearie" flits through my head.

As she continues eating I examine her table in between plucking the flesh from the mussels. 3 young women, 1 elderly woman and 1 young man. Looks like a family without a father.

I notice the bag resting against the table leg. I'd guess it's hers.

We continue to glance at each other throughout the rest of the meal and briefly lock eyes once in awhile.

Finally our eyes meet and neither of us turn away. I give her a subtle smirk and she gives me a quiet smile.

I go off to check out the fruits and as I scan around looking for anything worth taking, I feel her vision focusing on me. I pick out a 2 mangosteens and turn around to head back to my table.

She looks away. As I approach her table she turns to look at me once more and her eyes trail me to my table as I take my seat, she rejoins the conversation at her table.

The bill is paid as I finish my mangosteens.

I give her one last look. She doesn't turn around.

And we leave the place.

Dear girl...If only I could be sure you're from the same place. Maybe we'll catch the same flight. Maybe there'll be an empty seat next to yours which I will so gladly fill because I'm travelling alone. Maybe we'll meet at some party if we're from the same country.

But until we meet again. If we ever meet again. We're both travellers and this is really as good as it gets.

And I'm off to the airport.
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?